Sunday, February 08, 2004

Ahhh.

There's nothing like a day off, especially when that day is a Saturday. My parents were visiting from Jersey this weekend, so instead of trying to work my regular Circ Desk schedule (which I did last time they visited, and ended up only seeing them for about three hours in toto), I actually planned ahead and took my first vacation day here at the weekend job. It was nice to enjoy some extra time with the extended family, and the additional sleep I got sure didn't hurt either!

Aside from the customary carload of clothes and presents for Andriana, my parents also brought up a supply of Taylor Pork Roll, that heavenly ham sausage available only in the Delaware Valley. Think of it as an upscale version of Scrapple - and if you don't know what Scrapple is, it's best not to ask! - with a better taste and less of that "mystery meat" feel to it, and you won't be that far off the mark. Down in Jersey pork roll is a breakfast staple, although it's also delicious when grilled in thick-cut chunks with barbeque sauce for lunch or dinner as well (a meal that is remarkably similar to the fried bologna sandwiches of West Virginia and thereabouts, or so I've been informed).

The above-mentioned link will enable you to sample this quintessentially Jersey food item. It also yielded the lyrics to a song by Ween called "Pork Roll, Egg and Cheese":

When you've had your fun
And your work is done, you must not - succumb
I can feel you breathe
It's like mange weedge inside, please - don't hide

So mom if you please pass me the pork roll egg and cheese
If you please on a kaiser bun
Mom if you please pass me the pork roll egg and cheese
If you please on a kaiser bun

When the guava's drained
Eddie Dingle remains, but we must further ourselves on
So dynamic is life
Staring into the sights not right, but wrong it could give way

When you've had our fun
And your work is done, you must not - succumb
I can feel you breathe
It's like mange weedge inside, please - don't hide

So mom if you please pass me the pork roll egg and cheese
If you please on a kaiser bun
Mom if you please pass me the pork roll egg and cheese
If you please on a kaiser bun

Mom if you please pass the pork roll egg and cheese
If you please on a kaiser bun
On a kaiser bun
Pork roll egg and cheese


I might just have to go out and buy the album ("The Pod"), or at the very least find this song on Itunes!

No comments: