Thursday, March 25, 2004

Chapter Twelve of "Confessions"

is done, and I'm just about at the 73,000-word mark. A funny thing or two happened on the way to the end of this chapter - first off, I went back through the file and realized that I had two Chapter Eights, so I had to adjust the enumeration for everything from Chapter Nine on up. Second, I realized that a lot of material from Twelve really belonged at the beginning Thirteen, so I did a lot of cutting and pasting this afternoon and, lo and behold, the chapter I was working on finally started to feel like a coherent whole. Not only that, but now I have a jump start for Chapter Thirteen...

I know I was supposed to hold out for 75k to begin the new short story, but I just couldn't resist. "High Tide" is at 500 words as of this evening, and it's coming out at a fairly good clip (probably because it's been kicking around in my head for years now). Should be fun. While I know I've said this for every short story since "First", I'm going to try and keep this one short - between five thousand and ten thousand words. There are a lot of markets for short short fiction; moreover, it would be a lot easy to get all of those story ideas out if each one doesn't draw itself out into a novella!

No comments: