Friday, July 30, 2004

Kerry "goes yard"

However much I hate the above bit of modern baseball lingo, I have to admit John Kerry did with his acceptance speech at the Fleetcenter what Manny Ramirez is known to do with shoulder-high fastballs at Fenway - namely, knock it out of the park. After a steady parade of lukewarm pledges of moderation and unity from the Democratic Party's resident firebreathers (most notably Howard Dean, who was uncharacteristically subdued when we spoke on Tuesday night), I was expecting more of the same from Kerry, so imagine my surprise when the guy came out swinging with the gloves off! It was a clever tactical move, one that I wouldn't have given the DNC or the Kerry people credit for, which is a damned hopeful sign that we might actually pull this one out come November.

No comments: