Wednesday, July 28, 2004

One more river to cross

Well, I spent most of the day trying to bang out the last paper for my management class, only to find the work a little more slow-going than I had assumed it would be.  After a promising introduction I realized that I had to collate the data as I wrote my way through the paper, and as a result at times progress would grind to a halt as I searched not for the right words but the correct information for the section of the paper I was working on.  Since our assignment was to write about the management and organizational structure of a library of our own choosing, my "research" consisted of five or six pages of handwritten notes from my interview with the library's director and a ream of material that he was gracious enough to photocopy for me - budget, strategic plan, personnel manual, the works. 

The only trouble was making all of this information fit the requirements of the paper, something which took a lot of boiling down when I was just inundated with numbers and facts and fluffing up when I had to resort to some additional research to answer some of the questions that were miraculously still unanswered after the data dump from my library director friend.  It took longer than I thought, but I think I've successfully transferred all the nuts and bolts from the pieces of paper scattered around my living room to a ten-page paper, but after all of that tooth-pulling I think I'm going to wait until tomorrow to draw my conclusions and call it done done.

Why do I have to be such a Goddanged perfectionist?

No comments: