Saturday, August 14, 2004

Adrift

Next weekend I'll be in New Jersey, so I'm at a total loss as to what I should be doing with this last stretch of captive time before the madness that is Intercession ensues for a second time this summer, during which period I'll only be here at the Circ Desk on Saturdays (and then only for five hours!). I'm looking forward to having the next five Sundays off, but in the meantime I feel like I'm just treading water until the end-of-Summer-term hours kick in. My writing is also at a similar standstill, the result of a schedule whereby I'm not taking public transportation. Now granted, staying home with my daughter and exploring Cape Anne is a hell of a lot more fun than spending my time on a grimy train chugging back and forth between work and the Nort Shore, but it's been an impossible task trying to find any time to get a few words in edgewise. I know that my situation will change in a few weeks, but when you're adrift it's hard to imagine anything other than the unbroken horizon for as far as the eye can see in every direction.

You know, some people actually enjoy their time off! I'd like to meet them someday and find out how they do it...

Apropos the title of this post, I'm just about to start reading Adrift: Seventy-Six Days Lost at Sea, by Steven Callahan. It's the true story of Callahan's remarkable survival in an inflatable lifeboat for months after his small sloop sank in the Atlantic Ocean, living off of water he distilled by the spoonful and raw fish. A coworker of mine lent me her cop, so I'm going to try and polish it off sooner rather than later. Sounds like a great (if a little harrowing) read!

No comments: