Tuesday, January 18, 2005

"I can't talk right now, I'm in the middle of the hajj!"

Cute little article on Wired about the infiltration of cell phones and the internet into the annual Muslim pilgrimage to Saudi Arabia. One devout Algerian man circled the Kaaba while praying with his wife (who had remained at home) on the phone. Not a bad way to share a spiritual journey, I guess, although the fact that he fielded a business call during his rounds as well kind of diminished the sublimity of the moment. I shudder to think of what Greek Orthodox services would be like if cell phones were permitted in the church...

"Hey."

"Hey."

"What are you doing?"

"Waiting in line for communion."

"Yeah, me too."

"What do you want to do after church?"

"I don't know - what do you want to do?"

"I dunno."

"Hold on a second, it's my turn."

Meanwhile the chanter would be periodically interrupted by tinny strains of 50 Cent's 'In Da Club'...

No comments: