Friday, February 11, 2005

Back in the saddle

How weird it is to return to a job that had expired almost a year ago and find myself sliding back into its routine as if only a long weekend had passed! I'll be spending my Friday mornings in the Modern Greek section once more, helping the department spend down its endowed funds and perhaps doing a little bit of the other stuff I used to do when/if time permits. It's funny - I wasn't sure if I was going to remember any of the acquisitions or cataloging procedures when I sat down at my workstation this morning (which actually has moved, along with the entire Greek office, about twenty feet down the hall to Collection Development proper, having been ousted from its cozy and quiet oasis of pure Hellenicity by a branch of the library with a need for elbow room and more sway than my boss), but I guess cataloging is like riding a bike. After spending more than a quarter million dollars last year on Greek books, I guess the various button clicks and keystrokes necessary to get the job done become instinctual. So it's a good thing that not much has changed in the intervening nine or ten months...

No comments: