Sunday, April 17, 2005

Through the looking glass

As a reward for my having actually reached the 100k mark, I've decided to take a small break from writing and immerse myself in Kitchen Confidential : Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly by Anthony Bourdain. I'm already a big fan of Mr. Bourdain from his book A Cook's Tour, which also appeared as a television series on the Food Network, but I hadn't read the former book (which was his first), although I've always meant to. Considering that he and I both write about gourmanderie, however, maybe this isn't a break from "Confessions" so much as it is supplemental research. I know for a fact that A Cook's Tour had a profound impact on the authorial tone I eventually settled upon when I first started writing the novel in earnest - perhaps it is only appropriate that Tony's other book should accompany me through to the end.

No comments: