Saturday, May 14, 2005

105k

I haven't had much time to write since the end of last month, but I managed to crank out a little over a thousand words between the train ride home yesterday and this morning's commute back in. I'd have to go and check the word counts to be sure about this, but it feels like the chapters are getting longer as I go deeper into the novel. There's a thematic necessity for this--the story is now running along two parallel lines, with lots of flashing back and forth between them--but I don't want the work as a whole to seem unbalanced as a result. I guess I'll have to see how it all settles out when the first draft is done. In the worst case scenario I can always tease apart the chapters and put them back into a more linear chronological sequence, but right now I'm liking how the narrative winds itself around the theme of each chapter. It'd be a shame to lose that lopping quality to the book.

No comments: