Tuesday, May 02, 2006

A very merry unbirthday to you



But a merry regular birthday to me. 34 years!

Though I am almost embarassed to admit this, I still for some reason get birthday money from my folks (not that I'm complaining, mind you, but still!), only to fritter it away on bills or groceries or something mundane like a new pair of khakis and some tube socks. Well, not this time. Ladies and gentlemen, feast your eyes on what a couple of Benjamins can buy a not-so-closet gourmand:



Oh, yes -- the Shun Classic 6-1/2 inch Santoku Knife. Alton Brown recommends! I can't wait for this puppy to arrive on my doorstep in 3-5 business days.

Of course the real danger here is that I've been using knives so dull (they cut like they're made of Nerf) for so long that I will literally lop a finger or two off if I'm not careful! But I'll just have to take that risk. When my best friend -- an excellent cook in his own right -- and his significant other came over for Thanksgiving dinner last year I was mortified that all I had for him to carve his roast goose was a serrated steak knife. It will take quite a while to live that one down, but let's see if my carbon steel birthday present can salve my wounded pride somewhat... without wounding anything else in the process, that is!

2 comments:

Tish Grier said...

Happy Birthday, T!

Funny how men actually *want* things like knives for their birthdays...give that gift to a woman and you'd have your head handed to you (metaphorically speaking). She'd think you were sending her a message to stay in the kitchen...

Tom said...

Thanks Tish! (And thanks for stopping on by, even though I update this blog only once every lunar eclipse nowadays)

My better half would be tickled pink if I remained in the kitchen, but your point is well taken nonetheless. To my credit though, I have never given my wife a "domestic" present, nor do I ever intend to...