Friday, February 16, 2007

Odds and evens

You know how the odd-numbered Star Trek movies (I, III, and that godawful monstrocity called Star Trek V: The Undiscovered Country, which featured a 58-year-old William Shatner free climbing El Cap) all suck and the evens are good (okay, IV and VI aren't great but they sure beat the snot out of III and V)? Well I'm discovering that doctor's visits tend to work along similar lines, as I've been to my physician four times about my lingering sinus infection and I'm starting to note an interesting pattern:

Visit #1 - Doctor says "here's an OTC remedy you can try, come back in a month if it doesn't clear up."

Visit #2 - Doctor prescribes a 10-day course of antibiotics

Visit #3 - Doctor says "here's a nasal spray you can try, come back in a month if it doesn't clear up."

Visit #4 - Doctor prescribes a 10-day course of a stronger antibiotic

So in other words, if the second round of antibiotics doesn't work, I have the rock-climbing Shatner appointment to get through before I can expect any additional useful treatment. I wonder if there's any way to skip straight to 6...

No comments: