Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Time to smell like bait again

The stripers (those are striped bass, not exotic dancers) have returned to the North Shore at long last. Since my dad got me a brand new rod and reel for my birthday last week, I think there may be a minor fishing expedition in order for this upcoming weekend. Of course it's easy to "go fishing" when all you have to do is cross the street and you can cast your line out into Gloucester Harbor!

For those of you who like to fish in the area, you may want to check out Surfcaster.com, which is a local clearinghouse of up-to-date fishing intelligence. Mostly they cover saltwater action, but there is a forum for freshwater fishing as well. I would have also recommended Pete's Bait, which used to offer a treasure trove of fishing reports as well as other basic information for the novice angler, but it looks like the owner recently sold his Salem-based bait shop and the future of the website is now uncertain.

(I actually wrote a short story about fishing - a creepy little horror tale in the vein of Bambino. It's called "Keeper", and I will offer it here in its entirety as well once I give it a proper second edit.)

No comments: