Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Dog days

I have been dead in the water since Monday night.  One of the perks of living on Cape Ann is that most of the time the miasma that hangs over most of New England during the Dog Days of summer is held at bay by cool ocean breezes, such that I can leave work in Cambridge with it 90 degrees and humidity to arrive back in Gloucester to find it downright chilly.  Consider it one of the silver linings to a 2 1/2 hour commute!

Every once in a while, however, this magical coastal meteorological phenomenon fails to manifest itself and we are stuck with a land breeze or no wind at all.  This Monday was one of those days.  Compound the dead air with my legendarily bad sinus problems (Wil Wheaton knows my pain-- check out his blog for an extremely graphic description of the joys of living with seasonal allergies, if you dare!) and I spent all night trying not to feel like I was drowning, leaving me totally wrecked for Tuesday.

Last night was marginally better, but I've still been struggling with my sinuses nevertheless.  Help is on the way the way, though-- as I drove down the Boulevard on the way back from the Walgreens I couldn't help but notice that all of the flags along the seawall were flapping unmistakably in a strong ocean wind...

No comments: