Sunday, November 14, 2004

Feed the beast

Despite the fact that there are about a million other things I should be doing with my time right now, I have decided to blog. Not having written anything except reading response papers for the better part of a month (and during NaNoWriMo, of all times!), the hunger for putting words together in sentences and paragraphs is growing too powerful to resist. I knew that there would arise a fundamental tension between my classwork and my writing if I chose the path of the double degree, especially considering the fair warning I'd been given by my advisor about the intensiveness of the program's historical methods class, but I accepted the risk nonetheless.

And so here I am, my imagination ready to keel-haul me for ignoring it while two very real deadlines for class - two papers, one for a course I care nothing about, the other for one I perhaps care about too much - loom menacingly over my week. I'm truly between the devil and deep blue sea on this one, because I know I can't keep putting off my writing, lest it begin to atrophy yet again, but I'll be damned if I can find the time for it right now. Will the Muse forgive me if I neglect her for another fortnight or two while I bring my academic endeavors to their conclusion, or will she become an implacable beast instead?

(To be honest I don't see my "Muse" as being a feminine entity. How about an Id/It?)

I've been thinking about putting "Bambino" online, making it freely available in light of the fact that the Curse has now in fact been reversed, rendering the initial conceit of the story moot. Of course I could always move the action to Chicago and make it about undoing the Curse of the Billy Goat, but that just seems wrong somehow...

No comments: