Thursday, January 20, 2005

Hot doughnuts now - ask me how!

As part of the South's nefarious plot to avenge the Civil War by slowly killing us Northerners with lard and pork products, Krispy Kreme now not only has two stores within driving distance but now offers its donuts at the local supermarket. Talk about the ultimate impulse buy - walk in for toothpaste and deodorant and come out with a box of a dozen glazed. Can a Waffle House on the North Shore be far behind?

I guess it's a good thing that a week after buying them, we still had a few donuts left in the house, but my sweet tooth getting the best of me this morning, I decided that I could soften one or two of the stale remnants up by putting them in the microwave. Nuke a Krispy Kreme original glazed donut for eight seconds (as the packaging suggests) and it becomes a warm tasty treat. Hit it for another eight, though, and it becomes a ring of molten sugar with all the properties of napalm - a tiny weapon of mass destruction which nevertheless still looks disarmingly edible.

The moral of the story: eight is enough!

No comments: