Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Klytus, I'm bored

Although there is a stready trickle of researchers in the Reading Room today, I can't help but feel overwhelmed by that distinctive sort of workplace ennui which is characteristic of the slack time between Christmas and New Year's. I remember when I used to work this week at the Med School Library -- while there was never any shortage of backlog to catch up on or special projects to pursue, it was always hard to shake the unmistakable feeling that one simply shouldn't be anywhere near one's place of gainful employment during the holidays. Time enough for that in January.

Well at least there's been no traffic at all on the morning commute -- I drove the Honda Accord (a.k.a. The Green Monster) into town rather than ride the train, a rare indulgence, although I do miss seeing the sun rise over the railside ocean vistas between Manchester and Beverly Farms, reading my morning paper, and tapping out a few hundred words or more on the novel on the ride from Gloucester to North Station. It's a pleasant change not to be at the mercy of the commuter rail's utterly inadequate schedule, however, and at least for this week it's very nice to be with my wife and daughter a little earlier in the evenings as a result.

More in a bit. Not only am I bored, but hungry as well...

No comments: