Thursday, April 06, 2006

Excuses, excuses

1. I was too busy to post.

2. Jeff Jarvis has taken all the cool out of blogging.

3. Last post was #1000 and I wanted to hold on to the moment for as long as possible.

Take your pick-- feel free to choose more than one excuse, or create your own...

Jason Clarke (of Biggerboat) and I have been neck and neck for Most Time Elapsed Between Blog Posts Without Dying for quite some time now, but since he went and broke radio silence last week I felt that I no longer had to keep up my Cal Ripken-like streak of postlessness.

So let's catch up, shall we?

"Confessions" is finished. Weird thing: I completed the first draft on the third anniversary of my having begun it on March 3rd, 2003! The final word count was 153,000, which comes out to almost 500 double-spaced pages in 12-pt font. How awesome is that? And although I know that everyone says not to let people read your novel until at least the second draft, I just couldn't help myself. I've allowed three people whose artistic opinion I value more than anyone else's on the planet to give the manusript a thorough going-through, and thus far the reviews have been overwhelmingly positive.

I still can't believe I wrote an entire goddamned novel! Even just a few years ago I would have laughed at the very thought that I'd be capable of finishing so much as a short story...

In other news, as recounted at the Library Ass, I finished my Master's degree in Library Science in December (another start-to-finish I never thought I'd pull off!) and am only three classes and a thesis away from my MA in History as well. And our daughter Andriana turns three in just a little under two weeks. Crazy. One moment she's a little peanut who can't so much as roll over without your help, and the next she's riding her tricycle down the sidewalk all by herself and muscling me off the computer to play games on the Sesame Street website.



I promise to post again before two more months go by. No, really!

No comments: