Monday, October 16, 2006

In the verbal slurry

After breezing my way through the second draft of Chapters One, Two, and Three of Confessions I was beginning to worry that I was doing something horribly wrong -- so much so that I even hunted down a copy of Stephen King's On Writing and pored over what he has to say about the editing process. But I needn't have worried, for no sooner did I begin the revisions for Chapter Four than I found myself bogged down for an hour or more attempting to make sense of the first two paragraphs! Once I found a way out of that mess it was somewhat smoother sailing, but whereas during the previous hundred pages of manuscript I was mostly cleaning up typos and runon sentences, now I'm encountering these sorts of textual logjams with increasing frequency. So I guess the rewrite has officially begun!

No comments: