Thursday, August 14, 2008

Son of Mancation

So once again I'm on my way to a guys-only weekend - loyal readers will recall last year's "Mancation" to baseball Spring Training down in Florida with my brother and his closest friends. Well, this time it's my best friend, and the destination is none other than Gen Con, that most hallowed of gaming conventions held annually in Indianapolis. Nominally I've gotten the green light to go on this trip because my best friend is getting married in exactly one month to the day, so this outing will represent a kind of uber-nerdly bachelor party.

That being said, I've always wanted to go to Gen Con, as far back as when it was held on the shores of Lake Geneva and advertised in the back of old Dragon magazines. This year should be a fairly interesting time to go, as Wizards of the Coast have just released the 4th Edition of Dungeons and Dragons, which means that there will be plenty of opportunities to demo the game. To be honest from what I've already seen and played of this new version, I'm less than enamored with it, but I will try to suspend judgment for the weekend at least.

Another cool thing about this year's Gen Con is that one of my dear old friends from Jersey will be there as a game designer! So I'll have friends on both sides of the vendor floor for this trip.

Well, the plane is getting ready to board, but more from Indy! There will be plenty of pictures, to be sure...

No comments: